The AI Theme team is meeting monthly and making great strides in taking inventory of current AI work and advocating for experimentation in and out of the classroom. Members of the team include Jessica Gnutek, Joyce Symoniak, Namrata Pandya, Peter Dong, Patrick Young, Steve Dutcher, Steve Goldblatt, Stephen Stewart, Ashwin Mohan, Chris Kornsey, Eric Rettberg Marta Kaluza, Phadmakar Patankar, and Meg Junk.
The team is working in three areas:
1. Impact of AI on Curriculum
- Curating classroom policies, professional development, research, and published articles by staff/faculty to share internally and externally.
2. AI Programs & Learning Resources
- IMSA.ai is a student interest group that formed with a current membership of over 30 students.
- Considering piloting software that provide unlimited access to AI tools at no cost to students, faculty, and staff.
- AI Bytes Lunch & Learn series for students
3. Requirements for a Center for AI
- We are planning for two cohorts of 10 students and a handful of staff and faculty visiting AI Center at Argonne and four Centers for AI at UIC each of the two weeks of Intersession January 8 and January 15. The group will be investigating the physical and technical assets as IMSA and making recommendations for IMSA’s Center for AI. Intersession trips are being coordinated, scheduled, and led by Britta.
- Considering several campus spaces for a temporary center for AI with a recommendation planned for both a temporary and a permanent space in January after the Intersession visits.
- Developing a job description, responsibilities, and qualifications for a lead Center for AI position. Evaluating current inventory of servers.
Ready or not, AI is here. Check out the links on the sidebar menu for educator resources, student research projects, and lunch and learn videos.