Academy Offers Unmatched Educational Experiences
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) fosters the discoverers. The thinkers. The innovators and experimenters. The problem-solvers of the future who can change the world through their life’s work. IMSA innovates the future of science, technology, engineering and math education. It creates a strong and diverse pipeline of talented students at its residential Academy in Aurora, Illinois for 10th through 12th grade students.
IMSA’s tuition-free residential educational program enrolls a diverse student body of 650 from all areas of Illinois; admission is highly competitive.
To ignite and nurture creative, ethical, scientific minds that advance the human condition.
We Believe That…
- All people have equal intrinsic worth.
- All people have choices and are responsible for their actions.
- Belonging to a community requires commitment to the common good.
- Diverse perspectives enrich understanding and inspire discovery and creativity.
- Honesty, trust and respect are vital for any relationship to thrive.
- Learning never ends.
- Meaning is constructed by the learner.
- No one’s path in life is predetermined.
- The ability to discern and create connections is the essence of understanding.
- We are all stewards of our planet.
- We can significantly improve life on our planet.
National and International Leadership
IMSA is a recognized leader in mathematics and science education at the national and international levels and serves students, educators and policymakers beyond Illinois:
(1) IMSA founded and helps lead the work of the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology which consists of 75+ member institutions, including IMSA and the similar residential programs in 14 other states; (2) IMSA provides extensive professional development in problem-based learning to teachers in the nation and abroad; (3) IMSA staff and students serve on important national panels and task forces and are invited as presenters at prestigious national and international conferences; and (4) IMSA is a model upon which a number of other schools in the U.S. and abroad are based.
In addition, IMSA hosted the 2018 International Student Science Fair.