IMSA’s Office of Institutional Research (OIR) serves the academy by providing expertise and guidance in a variety of areas, including: research methods, data collection and visualization, assessment development and implementation, state- and national-level reporting, and human subjects research protection. We collaborate with IMSA colleagues and external partners to forward their evidence-based decision-making needs.
OIR demonstrates a commitment to equity and excellence by cultivating a culture of evidence-based decision-making and promoting institutional improvement through purposeful engagement and collaboration.
OIR’s Contribution to Advancing IMSA’s Mission and Impact
OIR advances IMSA’s mission and impact by facilitating a coherent approach to institutional research, assessment, continuous improvement, and evidence-based decision-making that promotes institutional effectiveness and excellence in teaching and learning both internally and externally. We accomplish this objective by:
- Providing access to timely, accurate and actionable information to institutional leaders, the IMSA community, and external organizations;
- Proactively working with IMSA community members to delve into the meaning of data and transform them into information and action;
- Conducting rigorous research and evaluation that significantly contributes to the IMSA community and beyond;
- Providing expertise and guidance in research methods, data collection, and human subjects research protection to IMSA colleagues and external partners;
- Providing leadership and support for effective, meaningful, and manageable assessment of teaching and learning;
- Working with colleagues to collect, maintain, and preserve institutional data to ensure strong data integrity and governance;
- Responding to state mandated reporting requirements as well as requests from other external agencies as appropriate; and
- Providing professional development and documentation concerning all areas of OIR’s functions.